SSS Maternity Benefit Part 2: Computation

Sorry for the inconvenience. I just checked my links for the forms and it seems that the Official Website of the Office of the President is under construction currently down. I know I should host the forms but I’m lazy, remember? Besides, it would be a waste of web space redundant to host it if there’s like a ton of sites that are hosting the forms.

August 16, 2010 UPDATE: The Official Website of the Office of the President and Official Gazette of the Republic of the Philippines is now online!

This is a continuation of SSS Maternity Benefit Part 1: How to avail?

It’s all about the money!

Yes, it always is. More often than or before the requirements, the computation is always asked. Money makes the world go round!

Actually, the computation of the benefit is already included in the Maternity Reimbursement form in my previous post. However, I never really ‘got’ it until now. Here it is now, in as much clarity as I can explain.

For example:

• Contingency is May 15, 2010.
  • Start of Maternity Leave is May 1, 2010.
  • Monthly Contribution Table

1. Exclude the semester of contingency (Delivery, Miscarriage or Abortion). (Semester refers to two successive quarters ending in the quarter of contingency.) The semester of contingency is January to June 2010.
  2. Count 12 months backward starting from the month immediately preceding the semester of contingency. The 12 month period prior to the semester of contingency is January 2009 to December 2009.
  3. Identify and add the six highest Monthly Salary Credits (MSC) within the 12 month period preceding the semester of contingency. Refer to the SSS Contribution ScheduleOctober to December 2009 (P520) and then three more of the other months (P312). Look up from the SSS Contribution Schedule the equivalent MSC of the contribution P520 and P312. The total MSC which is the total of the of the six highest MSC’s is (P5,000 x 3) + (P3,000 x 3) = P24,000.
  4. Divide the total MSCs by 180 days to arrive at the Daily Maternity Allowance. The Daily Maternity Allowance would be P24,000 / 180 = P133.33333333333333333333333333333.
  5. Multiply the Daily Maternity Allowance by 60 for normal delivery or miscarriage or 78 days for cesarean delivery to get the total maternity benefit. However, in case a member dies before the lapse of 60 or 78 days from the date of contingency, the number of days to be considered in the computation should be from the start of the employee’s maternity leave up to the day prior to the date of death. The maternity benefit due to the member would be P133.33333 x 60 = P8,000 in case of normal delivery/miscarriage and P133.33333 x 78 = P10,400 in case of cesarean delivery. In case the member died on May 25, 2010, the maternity benefit due is P133.33333 x 24 = P3,200 i.e.  May 1, 2010 to May 24, 2010.

Are you happy with what you’re going to get after giving birth? I used mine for my kid’s first birthday party. How are you going to use yours? Share.

Did you like this post? Want updates from The Lazy Mama? Follow us on RSS Feed, Facebook Page or Twitter.

Enhanced by Zemanta

33 Comments

1. trisha ♥
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM | Permalink

Hi,
    I’m just quite amazed that you took the time to actually jot down all these information.

Thanks for writing about maternity benefits! i found it very helpful.

Keep posting!

I still have few questions though :)

2. The Lazy Mama
    Posted August 17, 2010 at 12:40 AM | Permalink

Hi trisha! What’s your question? I’ll try to answer.

3. Jena
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 4:43 AM | Permalink

Hi Lazy mama,
    Would you happen to know if I could still claim my full maternity benefits even if I continue on going to work after a miscarriage and not resting for 2 months?

4. Posted September 30, 2010 at 12:43 PM | Permalink

Hello Jena,

Condolence. I’m sorry for your loss. I believe you could still claim your benefit. The benefit is to compensate you for 2 months but it’s not really necessary for you to stay at home.

5. wendy
    Posted November 3, 2011 at 8:46 PM | Permalink

helo po. member po ako ng sss for 3 yrs po then ngstop ako ng payment kc ngabroad po ako. now po preggy ako for 2 mnths and planing to continue my sss payment po. you think my makukuha po akong benefit if ever icontinue ko/. thnx in advance
    more power

6. Posted November 3, 2011 at 11:18 PM | Permalink

Hi wendy! As far as I know, the contribution should be before you got pregnant. You can call their office if your past contributions got into the period required. If your contributions has been more than a year ago, they will say you won’t get any. However, I think you can pay ALL of your 2011 (Jan-Dec) contributions until January 20. You can ask them if that option will get you to claim your maternity benefit. Ask twice and different branches – to be sure. Hope this helps!

7. Posted December 6, 2011 at 2:11 PM | Permalink

hi Lazy mama,
    i juzt want to know the real amt on getting my maternity benefits??my starting contribution on SSS is on oct.1,2010 up to present .nagfile po ako ng mat.leave on may25,2011 to jul.23,2011..before that my EE on oct-may is P266.70,and april up to present is P333.3..so ang expected amt ko po na mareceive sa SSS ay p17,333.33,,pero ng matanggap napo ung cheke from SSS amt po nila ay 8,000.00 lang..so i wonder,why???bat po kaya nagkagnun samantalng ang laki ng nacontribute ko sa SSS..i need clarification!!
    thank you!!god bless.

8. Posted December 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM | Permalink

HI lazy mama.,,wen wil u answer my question??thank you

9. Posted December 7, 2011 at 8:35 PM | Permalink

Hi Julz,

It is possible that the months that were considered to be included in the 6 highest contributions are just 3 months. From the contribution table, 266.70 would equate to use 8,000 for MSC. 8,000 x 3 months = 24,000. 24,000/180 = 133.33333. Multiply by 60 if normal: 133.33333 x 60 = 8,000. Definitely a different number if CS procedure.

If you are still in doubt, I think it is best to go to an SSS branch so they could explain the computations clearer.

Hope this helps! :D

10. Posted December 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM | Permalink

HI LAZY mama..
    tnx for your response,,iniintay ko po ung accountant na lakarin nya ung problema ko..kung sakaling mali din ung SSS,mareinburse kaya nila ung kulang??
    TNX!!god bless

11. Posted December 10, 2011 at 3:20 PM | Permalink

If they had the wrong computation, I think so. They will tell you naman how they computed it e. :D

12. charissa
    Posted December 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM | Permalink

Hi! ask ko lang, Im a voluntary member and my EDD is on march 29, 2012. Ang last contribution ko is from july-dec 2011 at P520 monthly. Magkano po kaya ang makukuha kong benefit?
    Thanks in advance.

13. Posted December 22, 2011 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

Do you have contributions before you conceived? As fas as I know, the contributions used for computation as the ones that were made at least a year before conception. If you don’t have those, I’m not sure if you are going to get any. It’s still best to ask SSS. You can do it via phone but from my experience, they don’t give out the exact computation over the phone.

14. Faith D. Maddara
    Posted January 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM | Permalink

Hi, I started working on March 22,2011 and started my maternity leave last Nov 14,2011. I gave birth Nov 16,2011 via CS. How much do you think will my benefit be if my salary is 250/day? thanks..

15. Posted January 22, 2012 at 5:32 AM | Permalink

Hi Faith! To compute for your exact benefit, you will also need to know the exact monthly SSS contribution. The amount may differ from the contribution listed in your payslip so it would be best to get these amount from an SSS branch. Also, I think contributions should be existent before you conceived. I believe that is where the computation is based.

16. Posted January 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM | Permalink

hello,.kagagaling ko lng sss kahapon..sabi nila at least six months contribution daw within the 12 month period preceding the semester of contingency ang kelangan para makaclaim ng maternity benefits..eh bakit po s a guidelines nila at least 3 months contribution lng…nirevised ba ung guidelines nila??naguluhan lng ako…thanks po..

17. Posted January 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM | Permalink

I agree. That is a little confusing. Can you ask another branch for a second opinion? Try not to mention that you’ve already asked though.

18. wench
    Posted February 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM | Permalink

Dear Lazy Mama,

Good day…
    I resign from my job 1 year ago.. I am planning to get pregnant. I would like to avail the maternity benefit of SSS. However, I have an existing loan when i was working at that time. Can i still be able to avail the said benefits even if i have an unpaid salary loan? Or need to pay the salary loan before i can avail the maternity benefits.. please help.

19. Posted February 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM | Permalink

Yes, I believe you need to pay for the amount you borrowed before you can avail of the benefit. Still best to consult with an SSS branch.

20. Jennifer Ordineza
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 3:09 PM | Permalink

Hi Lazy Mama, i’ve read your response to Wendy. As per my understanding for your response, a member could still get the benefits even though she’s still working during the 2 months period. Thus this mean that the member still paid by her employer for the 2 months that she worked and still get the 2 months benefits from SSS? Am I right? Please enlighten my mind. I appreciate your help Lazy Mama.

21. Posted February 22, 2012 at 2:52 AM | Permalink

Thanks for asking. That is quite tricky. For sure, the benefit from SSS can be claimed. However, with your question as to whether your employer will pay you or not is between the employee and the employer. Best to ask is the company’s Human Resources Department. I believe the employer should pay you for the days worked, but I am not sure as to how they are going to compute those, whether it should be doubled or multiplied by 1.3 or something or just the same rate.

22. Arnulfo
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM | Permalink

Hi Lazy Mama, Actually this is my daughter’s question, if she can avail her maternity benefits considering that this are only her monthly contributions. she delivered last February this year,2012.

Monthly Salary Credit

Year Jan Feb March April May June July Aug. Sept. Oct Nov Dec
    2012 10000 10000 10000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    2011 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 10000 10000 10000
    2010
    2009 8500 9000 5000 7500 9000 9500 0 13500 11500 5000 0 0
    2008 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3000 7500 0 1000 5000

Can she still avail the Maternity benefits? Please help me, so that I could explain it to her. Thanks
    Nonoy

23. Posted March 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM | Permalink

Thanks Nonoy! The table is not making much sense to me as they are not aligned. Please refer to Part 1 of this post as it will list the requirements for her to qualify for the benefit.

24. chloe
    Posted March 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

hi po gud pm po ask ko lng po kung qualified po aq sa maternity,,kc po last 2006 pa po ung last contribution as employed wla po akong alam about sa maternity nun 2 na po anak q and ngaun po buntis po aq sa pangatlo kong anak ang due q po is august 2012 tpos nag start po aq ulit maghulog sa sss nung january 2012 qualified pa po kaya aq for maternity??

25. Posted March 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM | Permalink

Thank you Chloe! If you refer to Part 1 of this post, one of the requirements to be eligible for the benefit is “Member must have paid at least three monthly contributions within the 12 month period immediately preceding the semester of childbirth or miscarriage.” I believe the contributions that it uses for computation should be made before you got pregnant. I think it would be best to go to your nearest SSS branch to verify your contributions.

26. chloe
    Posted March 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

tnx lazy mama,,npuntahan q na po ung branch at sbi po nla qualified dw po aq naapprove po nla ung mat 1 q..tnx po ulit

27. Posted March 15, 2012 at 9:39 PM | Permalink

No worries! Good to hear that!

28. Cherry
    Posted March 27, 2012 at 9:33 PM | Permalink

Hi,I am due to give birth on September. I’ve heard that the maximum that one can receive for NSD is only 30K. I am a SSS member for 6 years now and I’m paying 500+ 500 from my employer so that is 1k monthly. All contibutions are up to date. I am earning more than what I can get if ever from SSS. I hope the 30K is not their ceiling as I am expecting to get more since I’ll be on leave for 2 months. I am getting way higher salary than this. Please enlighten me.

Thank you in advance.

29. herbert saturno
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 10:36 AM | Permalink

hi po lazy mama 1 year na po baby nmin last contribution ng misis ko 2007 pa tazz nag resign na sya,,mkakak kuha po ba kmi ng maternity benefits.?

30. jessel
    Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM | Permalink

hello po!
    i’m self-employed and im having my 2nd baby on august 2012,last year yung payment ko is only from jan-june and this year start ulit ngbyad..can i avail yung maternity leave?

31. Posted April 5, 2012 at 5:54 AM | Permalink

Yes, it is correct that 30k is the maximum you can get for NSD. I believe the number of contributions and amount would have a bigger impact on pensions and not for maternity benefits.

32. Posted April 5, 2012 at 5:58 AM | Permalink

It seems like it has been so long since your last contribution that I feel your wife may not be eligible anymore. But still, it would be best to consult an officer from an SSS branch just to be sure.

33. Posted April 5, 2012 at 6:01 AM | Permalink

Probably, yes. Just make sure to go to an SSS branch to file your MAT-1. Since you’re there already, you can inquire na rin whether you’d be getting something or not.

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] week, I’m writing about Maternity Benefit Computation.   No [...]

2. [...] The Lazy Mama AboutContactTerms of Service Skip to content « Breast Crawl SSS Maternity Benefit Part 2: Computation » [...]